Invisalign is a series of a clear, removable teeth aligners used by dentists and orthodontists in replace of traditional wire braces. Patients return to their doctor every 2 weeks to have aligners replaced. Each time subtle shifts are made to the teeth until teeth are in their desired position.
Invisalign has several advantages over traditional braces:
- The Invisalign Aligners are not detectable to the naked eye. No embarrassing wire in your mouth.
- Types of food you can consume are not limited because you take the aligners out when you eat.
- Less tooth decay occurs during the time you have the Invisalign than when you have traditional braces. This is because you completely take them out to brush your teeth and can continue with your normal dental hygiene.
- X-rays can be done while you are receiving Invisalign treatment, also improving general dental health.
- Invisalign does not cause any damage to the roots of your teeth as other braces do.
- Computerized treatment planning allows you to see exactly what your teeth will look like once the treatment is complete.
- Treatment is completed in a shorter period of time (6-18 months) as compared to the average 32 months it takes for traditional braces to work.
- It can be done in conjuncture with other procedures, such as dental veneers, implants, and whitening in order to create the smile you’ve wanted.