The Link Between Dental Health and Overall Health
Your dental health plays a pivotal role in your overall health. Numerous studies have shown that poor dental health can cause or exacerbate other serious health conditions. When anxiety or fear keeps you from visiting your dentist or limits the amount of dental care you feel comfortable receiving, you could be at higher risk for:
- Developing diabetes or having difficulty managing your blood sugar if you currently suffer from diabetes.
- Being diagnosed with or having trouble controlling heart disease, including experiencing a heightened risk for heart attack and stroke.
- Endocarditis, which is an infection of the lining of the heart caused by bacteria that spread from your mouth to your heart through your bloodstream.
- Giving birth prematurely or having a baby with a lower-than-average birth weight.
- Premature tooth loss, which can affect your self-esteem as well as your ability to eat the foods you need for good nutrition.